Monday, November 26, 2018

Made In Sweden - "Where Do We Begin" (1976)

I wanted to give Georg Wadenius another chance, so let's take a look at his band Made In Sweden's last record. In the late 60's and early 70's, the band recorded a number of albums, then Wadenius left for the US and played with Blood, Sweat And Tears. When he returned to Sweden, he recreated Made In Sweden, where only himself was left of the original members (I think). In other words, a totally new band. The other members were Tommy Körberg, Pekka Pohjola, Vesa Aaltonen, and Wlodek Gulgowski. Sweden, Finland and Poland represented. Most fun for me is to find Tommy Körberg here, I've only known the older version of him and the kind of music he's done at this period of his life (very different kind of music), and I have no relation whatsoever to the younger version of him. To a non-Swede, this guy is probably a totally unknown.

I found this album in Sweden, I didn't know much about Made In Sweden, but had understood that many think they have a given place in Sweden's progressive music history. Since I was just about to move to Montreal, I thought the album might be harder to find here and therefore ask a somewhat higher price. Perhaps something of a rarity. I could sell it, or change it to two other albums. It was an idea that didn't really match reality.


Even though I find the record a bit more fun than Wadenius' solo album Cleo, I can't say it's particularly interesting. It's usually defined as progressive, but compared to bands like King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Genesis and other authorities in the genre, it's not a lot of prog. Rather easy-going jazz fusion. Both songs with singing and instrumentals are found, and the musicians most likely belong to the elite, but it rarely takes off. I like the instrumentals best, Körberg's singing kind of turns me off. A song like Manhattan Vibes is probably a totally OK song within its genre, but since me and jazz fusion have never been tight, it's still nothing for me. The closing song, 43 Sec. Of Arc Per Century, I feel is the most "difficult" song, but at the same time the most interesting. I haven't heard any of Made In Sweden's earlier records, maybe they would suit me better.


Tracklist

Side A
1 Where Do We Begin 4:27
2 Manhattan Vibes 7:05
3 Pop-Poem 3:38
4 Our Man 5:02

Side B
1 We Must Be Crucified 4:02
2 Lady G 4:13
3 Sometimes 1:49
4 43 Sec. Or Arc Per Century 10:02




No comments:

Post a Comment