Tuesday, November 20, 2018

David Gilmour (1978)

This was Gilmour's first solo album, and released the same year as Pink Floyd's Animals. Gilmour's album is much more relaxed and less bitter, probably somewhat easier for the public to like spontaneously. Not to say that it's a better album, though.

Of course there's a lot of guitar on the record, and some long jams with the guitar in the limelight. Sometimes maybe a bit too long. No less than three of the songs are instrumental. I'll admit that I was initially pleasantly surprised by the album. In general, I've always liked Roger Waters solo albums better, and always thought his music is a bit more challenging and interesting. Gilmour has a tendency, I think, to stay more in the standard blues rock area, and has had more anonymous songs, which dissolve into some sort of nothing. So I had no real expectations on the album. But when I listened to it, it was better than I thought.


On the album you'll find a few calmer songs, some rocky blues songs, vocals and instrumentals, so the record is relatively varied. Some echoes from Pink Floyd are heard, and I think some chord progressions are actually heard on The Wall, released the following year. Gilmour's singing follows his typical characteristics, beautiful harmonies, dreamy, floating and airy. But after listening to the album a while, I note that what often happens when I listen to David Gilmour, happens here too. The songs are pleasant and nice to listen to in the moment, but when a song is finished, it's as if I don't really know what I've been listening to. It is as if the music doesn't leave any imprint. And when the album is over, there is no lasting memory. The music passes right through me.

Overall, a slightly better album than I thought, but Gilmour's music has always had a softer approach towards the listener, and been more streamlined than Waters', and sometimes it may be a little too streamlined, and not enough wickedness.


Tracklist

Side A
1 Mihalis 5:47
2 There's No Way Out Of Here 5:10
3 Cry From The Street 5:13
4 So Far Away 5:50

Side B
1 Short And Sweet 5:27
2 Raise My Rent 5:31
3 No Way 5:29
4 It's Definitely 4:26
5 I Can not Breathe Anymore 3:08




No comments:

Post a Comment