Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Marie-Pierre Arthur - "Si l'aurore" (2015)


Marie-Pierre Fournier, as her real name is, comes from the small town of Grande-Vallée, located in the Gaspesie area of ​​Quebec. I traveled there this summer and must have passed the village without knowing it was Marie-Pierre's native village. Now, I don't know if it had made a big difference to the quality of that day, but maybe I would have taken a photo which I could have included in this post for a more genuine feeling.

Nowadays, Marie-Pierre lives in my new hometown of Montreal, so in other words, local music is on the agenda today. Perhaps I have met her on the street, without knowing it? Had it been even more impressive if I had a photo of me and her together in this post? But only dreams and fantasies.

Si l'Aurore is her third album, and I bought it because I have and like her self-titled debut album from 2009. Unfortunately, I don't like Si l'Aurore as much, and have trouble becoming a good friend with it. Actually, there's nothing clearly bad about the album I can put my finger on, the sound and song quality is of good craftsmanship, but I just don't like a lot. I think it's a little too poppy for my taste. It works OK as background music when you do something else, or maybe you have a local visiting. It's a simple trick if you want to become friends with a Montrealer, to show you have some local albums in the shelf. They like that.


The album is produced by Marie-Pierre's husband Francoise Lafontain, and a bunch of other Montreal musicians with French sounding names are involved. Marie-Pierre is a bass player in addition to singer, and manages that instrument on the songs. It's sung in French, which may have somewhat of a negative impact on my experience, as I have been brainwashed during life to associate music with the English language (or Swedish). French is a beautiful language, but when I hear it in movies or music, the experience often gets an extra intellectual layer, which is not always good for a more emotional enjoyment.

So personally I would rather recommend Marie-Pierre's debut album than Si l'Aurore. I haven't heard her second album.


Tracklist

Page A
1. Rien À Faire
2. Cacher L'Hiver
3. Si L'Aurore
4. Il
5. Come Avant

Page B
1. Le Silence
2. La Toile
3. Papillions De Nuit
4. Dance Ma Tête




No comments:

Post a Comment