Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Distant Days - "Dying Of The Light" (2017)



Probably I'm the only one in Montreal who owns this Swedish album, maybe the only one in Canada. I received it as a birthday gift from my brother, and the members of the band are friends to him, of whom I have met and spoke with a couple of them. Crème de la crème of the Uppsala and Stockholm musicians. At times like these, it's easy that one's objectivity takes vacation.

The company that released the album is Open Mind Records, which is also a record store in my hometown of Uppsala (Sweden), where I spent many hours and quite a bit of money. Probably my favorite store in Uppsala, though I was unaware that the owner also had a record label. They release vinyl records with bands from Uppsala, as I've understood it.


Distant Days consists of four members, of which the singer / guitarist Erik Illes is also the main songwriter. The other members are Anders Vretenäs (bass), Ulf Eklund (drums) and Michael Funke (guitar). My expectations of the record were not that high, what can some local guys from my little hometown create, I thought a bit snobbish, but was immediately put in place. Dying Of The Light is a good album, where rock / alternative rock may be a suitable label. It's generally a relatively quiet mood, and often the band's music is compared to the Swedish band Weeping Willows (for those of you who happen to know them). Personally, I get more vibes of the British band James, their calmer songs, which also happens to be one of my favorite bands. I can definitely hear Tim Booth sing several of these songs. Both of these similarities are to be considered compliments.

The album is filled with many strong songs that tend to get stuck in the head. Several times I've found myself humming a chorus while taking care of everyday life. The opening song Search & Rescue has become a favorite, just like A Song From The Basement and The Loved Ones. Should I find something that the band could do better, it would be a bigger variation in the sound. Although some fast-paced songs are thrown in with a the calmer ones, it's the same soundscape that we're constantly in. Some excursions here and there to something more different would be fun and also show a wider repertoire of the band. Maybe this is primarily a producer issue.

If you like a bit calmer music, with a dark touch, Distant Days debut album can definitely be recommended. If you want to know more about the band, visit their website https://distantdaysmusic.com/

Tracklist

Side A
1. Search & Rescue
2. September
3. A Song From The Basement
4. The Loved Ones
5. The Moon Is Too Pale

Side B
1. Out Of This World
2. Falling Apart
3. Mixed Blessing
4. Sarajevo
5. Strange Things Will Happen Here





No comments:

Post a Comment