Friday, October 28, 2016

Second Coming (1970)


It starts so promising. A demi-psychedelic cover, images of no less than nine members where all dudes look just as hippie-like as groovy musicians did in 1970 (with the possible exception of the guy in karate outfit, although the bandana gives him a pretty cool look). If you then read which instruments are being used, it's still interesting - Hammond organ, a mass of different wind instruments and of course drums, bass and guitar. This could be something.

But when the album starts spinning there is a disappointment, the music is not what I was hoping for. Instead of druggy, psychedelic creations, I hear music that often approaches easy listening  and sometimes is rather cheezy. The last song, Jermiah Crane, sounds like it's taken from Jesus Christ Superstar. The idea for it is probably to be some kind of epic story, but it doesn't work for me. Here and there I find some beautiful things, the opening song Requim For A Rainy Day is OK, I guess, and Nobody Cares is actually a really groovy song. In other songs I hear certain parts which I like, before the music finds its way back to a more boring path.


In other words it's hidden grains of what could be. Several songs open with a really nice bass/drum groove, and you think this is good, but then the band looses it, it's like they don't really dare.

I know nothing about the band. They just made this eponymous album, and since there are later bands with the same name, a bunch of albums with the same name (with other artists) and a lot of people seem to be waiting for Jesus' return, some time is needed  to sort out the result in Google. And I'm not that interested in the band.

It's not a really bad album, but nothing I will listen to a lot in the future. I think the musicians are quite competent, but the songs are not interesting enough according to my taste. It's a lot of wind instruments used on the album, and I mean a lot, so if that is something you like, you might appreciate the album more than me.

Tracklist

Side A
1. Requim For A Rainy Day 4:03
2. Take Me Home 4:19
3. Nobody Cares 5:33
4. Landlubber 5:52

Side B
1. Roundhouse 3:34
2. It's Over 4: 47
3. Crane Jeremiah 10:53



No comments:

Post a Comment