Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Lee Hazlewood - "This is Lee Hazlewood" (1967)


Another album by one of my favorite artists. This time without Nancy Sinatra, instead we hear Miss Suzi Jane Hokom on some of the songs, but mostly it's only Lee himself. I've never really understood Lee's releases. As usual, I already have all the songs on other albums by him, which is OK I guess, as this album is a compilation (I assume). There are some interesting things with This is Lee Hazlewood, we get to hear These Boots Are Made For Walkin' with Lee at the mic, and on Sand sings Miss Suzi Jane Hookom the parts that you're used to hear Nancy sing. Somewhat different versions than the classics, in other words.

This album has given me a little more headache than usual. Looking at Lee's official discography, this one is not included. However, it exists a very similar one, Lee Hazlewoodism - It's Cause And Cure, released the same year and where more than half of the songs are identical.


The back sides of the cover of both albums have the same content, although not the same layout, with a humorous text about the cause and cure. But on This is Lee Hazlewood, at least on my release, there is an error in the text. Instead of "The cure: Buy the damn album" it says "The cause: Buy the damn album". Things like that are always fun. You can see it on the right picture, at the bottom.


MGM has released both mentioned albums, but as I've understood the info on internet, This is Lee Hazlewood was only released in Norway and Germany. I can't swear I am absolutely right in this. On one site, someone claimed this was a unique Swedish release, and asked about 150 USD for it. So who knows.

Anyway, the music is really great. You seldom go wrong with Lee. A good selection of his earlier songs, where both black and tragic numbers are mixed with Lee's cool, dark humor. Tragic stories are told in a way you can't help smiling. The last song, My Baby Cried All Night Long. is a good example of this. The album can be recommended.


Tracklist

Side A
1. The Girls In Paris 2:31
2. Jose 4:32
3. Suzi Jane Is Back In Town 2:26
4. After Six 2:25
5. Dark In My Heart 2:03
6. The Nights 3:16
7. Home (I'm Home) 2:22

Side B
1. For One Moment 2:36
2. Sand 3:35
3. Move Around 3:04
4, These Boots Are Made For Walkin '3:09
5. So Long Babe 2:50
6. Bugles in the Afternoon 3:10
7. My Baby Cried All Night Long 3:13




No comments:

Post a Comment