Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Kytäjä - "II" (2013)


My move to Montreal has meant that I've had to study French intensively during the spring, therefore the blog has been quite for a while. With the completion of the studies, life can now return to normal. To compensate for the absence, I'll today focus on a really groovy album from the Finnish deep and ancient forests.

I bought Kytäjä's album on chance, at some internet store's vinyl sale. The description of the music sounded cool, but the band I didn't know at all. It rested quite a long time in my shelf before I finally gave it a chance. I must honestly say that my expectations were not that high, music from Finland is not one of my areas of expertise, and I'm a bit suspicious of the Finnish people's gloomy mood.

But imagine my surprise when I listened to it. It's a really, really cool album, far from a depressive Finnish existence in a strange black and white movie. Definitions are difficult, and Kytäjäs music isn't easy to sort into any genre. A little bit of prog, some ambient, kind of a jazzy feeling (sometimes), some world music, it's relaxed, it's beautiful, it's interesting, it's instrumental (except for a song sung in Finnish) and it's damn good. Currently one of my favorite records. Somewhere on the net it's defined as eclectic prog. What do I know. The final song Horizon Painters is anyway a nice tribute to Brian Eno, the time before his journeys into ambient (think Here Come the Warm Jets). I think.


Kytäjä is / was a Finnish duo consisting of Jamo Alho and Janne Lastumäk, the band's name is the name of the village where they spent their teenage years. At the album, which is their second, they've got a bunch of fellow musicians. In addition to the traditional drums, guitar and bass you'll get flute and oboe, amongst other instruments. The record is really good throughout, the only weak track according to me, is the one with song, Song To The Sea. Perhaps it is my inexperience in hearing songs in Finnish that plays a part in this. Generally it is quite airy arrangement with much room left to move in, which is pleasant to the ears.

Anyway, Kytäjas second album can be warmly recommended to all. It gives life a pretty relaxed atmosphere, while at the same time inviting to focused listening thanks to its high quality and interesting arrangements.


Tracklist

Side A
1. Sailing Stones / Vaeltavat Kivet 2:34
2. Time and Tide Wait For No One / Päivi Kuluu, Varjo Venyy 4:02
3. 65 Knots / 65 Solmua 2:58
4. August Dove / Elokuun Kyyhkyset 3:36
5. Under The Sails / Purjeiden All 4:25
6. Sandy Island / Sandy Island 4:25

Side B
1. Fishermen / Kalastajat 3:39
2. Song To The Sea / Laulu Merelle 4:59
3. Indian Paths / Intiaanimatkat 4:42
4. Moon Shines, Dead Rides / Kuu Paistaa, Kuollut Ajaa 3:02
5. Horizon Painters / Taivaanrannan Maalarit 5:33




No comments:

Post a Comment