Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Bakverk 80 (1979)

In his early teens, my brother was a punk rocker, and so a number of LPs with the Sex Pistols, The Clash, Crass and others found their way into our parental home. And Bakverk 80. An album where three different Swedish punk bands contribute - KSMB, Travolta Kids and Incest Brothers. Of these, the first mentioned band became the most famous, and their later album Rika Barn Leka Bäst many hold as one of the best Swedish albums ever made. But now it was 1979, and all three bands were at the beginnings of their careers. The label MNW recorded and released the album.

A few words on the title. Bakverk 80 means Pastry 80 or Cake 80. This is a play with the word Stålverk 80, which means Steelworks 80. This was a grand industrial project in northern Sweden that never became reality,

I will brag a little about my cousin Stefan, he was the lead singer and bassist of Incest Brothers, which means he is the family's celebrity. He then continued his musical career in the band Trekant and later Köttgrottorna, yes, the legendary Swedish punk band. That of course means that I can't be objective when I judge the contributions of Incest Brothers on the album, I can't do anything but to praise these songs. Blood is thicker than objective facts.


Personally, I have never been into punk rock, although as younger I enjoyed some of the Sex Pistols songs (I like The Clash, however, but have never felt that they belong to the punk genre). Therefore, Bakverk 80 isn't  really my bag. But it's an interesting historical document. They seem to be so angry. Angry at the system. Angry at the politicians. Angry at the average Joe. Angry at everything. It's fairly aggressive music, as punk rock usually is, I guess. It's also very politically aware. Although the punks distanced themselves from the Swedish progg (I think), which was a leftish political music genre in the 70s, very critical of the system, I see a lot of similarities. Both genres are extremly critical of the political system and the passivation of the population. There are also clear influences from the political left in the texts on Bakverk 80. So really, it's just the musical frame that's different. A bit simpler, more direct, more aggressive and shorter songs. But the message and the views are the same.


Incest Brothers' songs are the best. But someone else might think Travolta Kids' songs are the most interesting. That someone might notice a bit more melodic music, more interesting song ideas and a band that maybe was a little ahead of their companions in the art of songwriting. Perhaps he would like the song Titta På Den Här and even say it's the best song on the album? I don't agree of course. Incest Brothers rules.

Bakverk 80 is perhaps not an album I will play very often, I find punk rock too loud, too noisy and too angry. But the album is fun as a historical document. And since my cousin is involved, it will never leave my record collection.


Tracklist

Side A

KSMB
1. Bohman 2:19
2. ABAB 2:02
3. Hårding 1:52
4. Militärlåten 1:14
5. Förortsbarn 2:07
6. Jag Vill Dö 2:13
7. MUF 1:58

Travolta Kids
8. Sune 2:37
9. Tryck På Knappen 1:36
10. Tunnbrödsrulle 2:07

Side B

Travolta Kids
1. Nick Carter 1:38
2. Bli Polis 1:47
3. Bill Å Bull 1:27
4. Titta På Den Här 1:53

Incest Brothers
5. Lördagspunk 1:22
6. Discofnask 2:53
7. Oskyldig 1:56
8. Pubertetsproblem 2:19
9. Svensson 1:54
10. Arbetslös 2:10



No comments:

Post a Comment