Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Animals – The Animals (1966)


I got this album on my 40th birthday along with a dozen other albums of varying origins and musical quality. I like the sleeve with its relatively austere design. I like the black and white picture with the red text. And I like the music too.

 
This is a compilation with songs from 1964 to 1965, of course with a focus on the band's hits (and possibly some fill outs). I was cautiously hesitant when I first put it on the turntable. Almost all the music I have from the 60's is from 1966 onwards, since I believe it was from this year it really started to happen within the music, when the experimentation took over. Much of what I’ve heard from the earlier years of the 60s has been lo-fi recordings with a rockabilly touch, or cheesy pop songs or ballads. In addition, I have poor knowledge of the Animals and succeeded for a short while to confuse them with the Shadows, and expected instrumental guitar songs. No clue at all, apparently.

But I was surprised. Sure it's kind of lo-fi, yeah, some songs might have a touch of rockabilly, and there are some ballads, but I was surprised how loud and danceable it is. Almost trashy. It just took a few seconds before I had to take my youngest daughter in my arms and start bouncing around on the floor until we became too dizzy, both of us. I would say that some songs are almost close to punk. But mostly you’ll get classic r&b. Loud, noisy punk blues.


The singer Eric Burdon howls without inhibitions and the organ hammers on frantically. For it is a lot of organ. Responsible for that instrument is Alan Price, he left the Animals in 1965 and instead created The Alan Price Set. And so it went on, the original members disappeared one by one - bassist Chas Chandler left the band in 1966 and became the manager of Jimi Hendrix, he also put together his band The Jimi Hendrix Experience - and finally it was just Burdon who was left of the original members. The new incarnation of the Animals was called Eric Burdon and the Animals and got a more psychedelic touch. In 1969 the band dissolved and has since had a number of reappearances in reunions.

The Animals had unfortunately a bad manager in the form of Michael Jeffery, and missed out on a lot of money. They were cheated, simply put. Michael Jeffery was a controversial man and was also accused of murdering Jimi Hendrix (who he helped Chandler manage). The reason was supposedly a juicy life insurance payment he wanted his hands on. Mr Jeffrey died in 1973 so no one will know for sure if he was a killer.

 
A man to be trusted? Michael Jeffrey.
This is certainly a fun album to brighten up your day. It's difficult to sit still when Burdon & Co. rocks on, and the lyrics are often so simple that you can sing along quite quickly. To my family members' chagrin and grief. I'm still surprised that they did this kind of loud and almost-punk music already in 1964. We’ve got mostly Eric Burdon to thank for the album’s wild appearance, his uninhibited singing gives the music a loud and rebellious touch. And the other members of the band frame the song in an almost equally ferocious manner.
It may be added that I've seen the album sold online from 10 US up to 100 USD. I don’t know if the ones who gave me the album knew this.


 
Tracklist

Side A
1. I’m Crying
2. House Of The Rising Sun
3. Boom Boom
4. I’m Mad Again
5. Bring It Home To Me
6. We’ve Gotta Get Out Of This Place

Side B
1. Story Of Bo Diddley
2. How You’ve Changed
3. Bright Lights White City
4. Roadrunner
5. Worried Life Blues
6. It’s My Life



No comments:

Post a Comment