Thursday, June 27, 2013

Grateful Dead - "Terrapin Station" (1977)
 

A record collection worthy of the name ought to contain a number of Grateful Dead records, don't you think? And shouldn't a man with a musical focus on the 60s and 70s be familiar with many of the band's creations?

Grateful Dead is a band I feel like I know so well. I have read a lot about the band, it's often mentioned when you're looking back at the 60's, everyone knows who Jerry Garcia is and is familiar with the band's fanatical fans Deadheads. Yes, the Grateful Dead can't be defined as anything else than a legendary and mythical istitution in the music history. Of course I know the Grateful Dead. Or do I?

The truth: In my own record collection Grateful Dead has only been represented on the soundtrack to Zabriskie Point (which I bought because Pink Floyd also contributes on the album). And when I reflect on what GD songs I know it's silence in my head. I've got some theoretical knowledge but no practical. It feels a little strange that I have no idea what music Grateful Dead's really created.

One reason for this is when I first read about the Grateful Dead, it was all about LSD and flower power. Yes, the Grateful Dead was the ultimate psychedelic band sprung from the 60s creative explosion. Their concerts were an orgy of hallucinatory drugs and love and were described as happenings out of the ordinary. And who played at Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters acid tests? Grateful Dead, of course. But when I on occasion listened to some of their songs it was mostly long blues jams and nothing special, to be honest. Not as much psychedelia, peace & love that I had imagined. It probably made me a bit disappointed.


Anyway, some time ago I decided to dp something about the lack of Grateful Dead in my collection and acquired Terrapin Station. Why this album? I don't know, I had the idea that it was good. American Beauty is another one of their albums, I plan to buy in the near future.

For me this album revolves around the title track on side B which I think is an amazing creation, that is currently spinning intensively on my turntable. The more than fifteen minutes long song is divided into a number of different pieces which all appeal to me in different ways. There are strings, some wind instruments, beauty, choruses, prog, bombastic parts and everything you could wish for. I'm not bored for one second. And the lyrics in the first part, Lady With A Fan, is unusual beautiful. When the B-side has run out, I can play it from the beginning and think it is as beautiful again. And play it again. And again.

The A-side is OK, but not more. The first time I heard it, I was surprised as I hadn't expected it would sound like it does. It is well produced and no space is given for long, fuzzy jams. That's good. I think such jams can be a bitboring and unfocused in the long run. Except the cover on the boring Dancin 'In The Streets the songs side A are pretty good, but not much out of the ordinary.

I've understood that Grateful Dead fans are hesitant toward this record. At Terrapin Station, GD use an outside producer, only for the second time, which affects the sound. In addition, they take a departure from their usual jazz / blues / folk sound and instead lean a little more toward the progressive direction. I haven't much to compare with, so I like this album, especially the B-side. Can't do anything else but recommend it. Both side A and B contain quite accessible music, so the album is not something you need to fear from that standpoint. At the same time, especially side B is a just enough challenge as it's still a little different.


Tracklist

Side A
1. Estimated Prophet 5:37
2. Dancin’ In The Streets 3:16
3. Passenger 2:48
4. Samson And Delilah 3:29
5. Sunrise 4:03

Side B
1. Terrapin Station Part 1 16:17
- Lady With A Fan
- Terrapin Station
- Terrapin
- Terrapin Transit
- At A Siding
- Terrapin Flyer
- Refrain
 



No comments:

Post a Comment