Monday, January 7, 2013

MFSB – "Love Is The Message" (1973)


I found this record in Quebec a few years ago, and apart from the price of 1 or 2 dollars, the album attracted me with its contradictions. A skull, a nuclear bomb, a swastika, KKK, assault rifles and children who seem to suffer. Heavy stuff. Whith a title that says exactly the opposite. Of course I had to investigate what kind of album this was.

A knower of music should probably know who MFSB were, in other words, I can’t define myself as one. MFSB (Mother, Father, Sister, Brother) was a group of about 30 musicians who were the house band in the studio Sigma Sound Studios in Philadelphia. There they recorded a large amount of music for the classical label Philadelphia International, mostly as studio musicians for other artists, but also under their own namne. Philadelphia International was created and managed by the producers Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff.

Sigma Sound Studios
MFSB was a key part of The Philly sound that was big in (especially) the first half of the 70s, and was an important part of creating disco. Wikipedia describes that The Philly sound "is a style of soul music characterized by funk influences and lush instrumental arrangements, often featuring sweeping strings and piercing horns. The subtle sound of a vibraphone can often be heard in the background of Philly soul songs. "

I have a compilation CD with Philadelphia soul (as it’s also called, Sweet Philly is another name) in my collection and I must admit that it’s quite groovy music.

Love Is The Message is a nice album. It’s instrumental and clocks in at just over 35 minutes. Lots of horns, lots of strings, lots of electric organ, fat arrangements. If I have a record that smells the 70s, it’s this one. Yes, it's probably as much 70s as it possible can be. I see countless of TV series from that decade in my head when I hear the songs. It's pretty gentle and comforting music on the album, and allmusic.com have as a couple of (many) definitions of the music Easy listening - Smooth Soul. Sometimes it's a little too nice and sweet, and my mean moments I think that some of the songs would fit well on a Saturday night in a club for retired people. Personally, I think feel good music would fit well as a definition. The darkness, anxiety and neuroses are far away on this album. Instead life is good, the ladies (and gentlemen) are beautiful, the money is flowing in and we are among groovy and cool friends. A perfect party where no one gets too drunk and everyone is happy in a relaxed way.


There are two classic songs on the album, the first one is the title song. A beautiful creation that became a big underground hit in New York's disco world a few years later. The second one, which even I recognize, is T.S.O.P (The Sound Of Philadelphia). It was written as the theme song to the TV show Soul Train and was released as a single which reached number one on the charts. A beautiful song probably everyone can like, and the only song on the record where some vocals are heard in the form of a few female voices.

The music is in stark contrast to the cover, which I guess was the point. To the wicked, hard world we live in perhaps music like this is the right medicine.



Tracklist

Side A
1. Zack’s Fanfare 0:23
2. Love Is The Message 6:35
3. Cheaper To Keep Her 6:52
4. My One And Only Love 4:34

Side B
1. T.S.O.P (The Sound Of Philadelphia)
2. Zack’s Fnafare (I Hear Music) 0:50
3. Touch Me In The Morning (6:21
4. Bitter Sweet 5:26


No comments:

Post a Comment