Sunday, December 30, 2012

Shawn Phillips - "Spaced" (1977)


Shawn Phillips is described as "the most well kept secret in music business" and "one the most fascinating and enigmatic musicians to come out of the early -70s singer / songwriter boom." I'm therefore forgiven for not knowing who he was until this album landed in my home a couple of months ago. If you read about him on the net, you notice collaborations with names like Donovan, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood. He sings on the Beatles' Lovely Rita and was assigned the lead role in Jesus Christ Superstar (but withdrew). In total, he has released about 20 albums. So it's still kind of strange that this man has passed unnoticed in my life.


Shawn Phillips was the son of a writer and spent his childhood on almost every continent on Earth, which made him meet lots of different kinds of music. He started playing guitar at the age of seven and is considered a very accomplished musician, he masters various forms of guitars and also plays the sitar. His voice reportedly covers three octaves.

Spaced consists mostly of songs that were deselected from previous albums, often due to an album's limited time frame (according to the text on the cover). The oldest song is from 1969 and was featured on an intended trilogy of albums that never was to be (but was compressed to one record). There are also a few songs from 1977 which I assume were recorded new to Spaced.


I have to my knowledge never heard Shawn Phillips before so I have nothing to compare with, but I like this album. It has really grown from the first listening. I came across the record via a friendly partner in my job, who I was going to lose contact with. It turned out she had a large number of vinyl records she had no use for, and as a farewell gift she offered me to look through the albums and pick the ones I wanted. Such kindness makes you happy.

The music is difficult to define. There is jazz, prog, psychedelia, rock and the album ends with a 16 minute long funk jam. Shawn Phillips' music is described on various sites as folk rock, jazz rock, singer / songwriter, psychedelia, garage, soft rock, etc. Eclectic, to say the least. Apparently you should thank his travelings while growing up for this, since he, in meeting all the different kinds of music, didn't get trapped in the usual musical boundaries. Spaced has the traditional rock instruments like guitar, bass, drums, some saxophone, keyboard / piano of various kinds. No sitar this time. When I hear this album I sometimes get vibes of Tim Buckley. I don't know, maybe it's the voice.

Today, Shawn lives in South Africa and continues to write music. He also works as an emergency medical technician, a firefighter and navigator in South Africa's Sea rescue.


Overall it's an OK album, one thing that bothers me a little, though, is Shawn's words on the inside cover: "Today it appears that almost anyone who puts on a cowboy hat and / or has played an instrument for two or three years can be designated as a musician. All of the people who have played on my albums are musicians who have dedicated the majority of their lives to music. "
In my world it smells a little snobbery, disdain and superiority towards all the hobby musicians who find joy in creating, which darkens the image of Shawn bit. Or is it just me as a half mediocre bassist and a drummer rookie with dreams that feel insulted. But at least I don't wear a cowboy hat. Yet.



Tracklist

Side A
1. Rant 3:25
2. Italian Phases 2:22
3. The Light From Between Your Eyes 4:33
4. Stranded 4:48
5. From All Of Us 3:42

Side B
1. Parisian Plight I 3:42
2. Prelude To A Leaving 2:37
3. All Our Love 1:32
4. I Don't Want To Leave You, I Just Came To Say Good-Bye 16:08



No comments:

Post a Comment