Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here" (1975)


Some bands become such institutions that they almost become clichés, and some albums are such classics that they almost become boring to discuss (because so many other have already done so). This applies very much to today's theme, both the band and the album. When someone asks me what my favorite band is, and I, after some pretended reflection, respond Pink Floyd, I hear how boring it sounds. It sounds so much cooler to answer Zappa, The Strawbs or Hatfield & the North. And as I often respond Wish You Were Here on the issue of favorite album, again, it sounds a bit boring and average. Almost a little mainstream, and is there anything a music connoisseur don't want to be it's mainstream.


However, it can not be helped, I'm a big fan of Pink Floyd and especially this album. Although not always ending up on the top spot in my own "Best album ever" list, it always gets a top 3 position. In other words, a really good album. (Sometimes, when I'm in an extra adventurous mood, I can give first place to an album like Love's Forever Changes).

This album was purchased in the golden teenage years, an era which was a great journey of discovery in the musical landscape. I was problably around 18 years old when I bought it. Some music I bought in my teens I have trouble listening to today. It's too associated with these years and I have progressed in my musical taste. But Pink Floyd's creations are as good yet, and I will most certainly still like them when I'm  70+.

What can you say about the music on the album? First of all, the preceding album was Dark Side Of The Moon, and how can you make a follow up on a record like that? The answer is of course Wish You Were Here where, according to me, PF reached even higher. Most of you have probably heard the song/songs Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which is divided into two long suites, one on each side. A superb song which is kind of dedicated to Syd Barrett, but "Shine On is not really about Syd—he's just a symbol for all the extremes of absence some people have to indulge in because it's the only way they can cope with how fucking sad it is, modern life, to withdraw completely. I found that terribly sad. " (Roger Waters). This is one of my favourite song, all categories. The essence of modern music?


The title track is also a classic that doesn't really need to be commented on, problably the song from this album that's been played the most - both on radio and by street troubadours. I myself was extremely proud when I managed to play the song's riff on guitar. On the song Have A Cigar, the folk singer Roy Harper sings since Waters had some voice problems and thought that he didn't have the vocal range required for the song, and Gilmour simply didn't want to sing it. Apparently, Gilmour added some guitar on one Harper song (he recorded in a neighboring studio at the same time), so Harper returned the service. Waters, however, later regretted this decision since he then thought he should have sung himself. But perhaps it was wise since the song is a murdering criticism of the music industry. Better let Harper take the shit for that, right?

A classic story from the recording, that most of you probably already have heard, is that of Syd Barrett coming right in to the studio during the recording. The band members hadn't seen him in years and as he now looked radically different they didn't at first recognize him. When they realized who it was some started to cry. According to legend Syd listened to Shine On ... and didn't like it. He then disappeared from the studio.
Syd visiting the studio
This was Pink Floyd's ninth studio album and was recorded at Abbey Road Studios. One of my favorite albums but I really don't have much to say about it. Maybe you find that strange, but most have already been said.



Tracklist
Side A
1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pts. 1-5 13:32
2. Welcome To The Machine 7:31

Side B
1. Have A Cigar 5:07
2. Wish You Were Here 5:34
3. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pts. 6-9 12:29


No comments:

Post a Comment