Monday, February 27, 2012

Lars-Eric Uneståhl - "Hypnos" (1969)

This LP is something of a strange bird in my collection. It's neither rockn'roll, psychedelia or some form of electronic hypnotrance. What we've got here is instead a few hypnosis sessions led by the Swedish psychologist Lars-Eric Uneståhl. This album originally comes from my grandfather who purchased it in an attempt to tame his smoking habit, since one of the sessions revolves around reducing the urge to smoke. Since my grandfather continued to be a heavy smoker until the year before he died it doesn't seem like the LP worked, or at least wasn't very effective.

When I chose this album for the next blog post, I spontaneously thought I would have some fun at its expense and to somewhat mock it. A hypnosis LP from 1969 almost asks you to do this. I've listened to it once before in my teens, after that it has mostly been a funny ingredient in the collection, never played. But I changed my attitude after listening to it again.

Firstly, Lars-Eric gives the record owner three typed sheets, included inside the cover, with information about the research on hypnosis, a detailed description of the sessions on the album and what the listener can expect. That's nice! And kind of funny with typed material. When I lay down on the floor and got ready to be hypnotized, I realized the goodness of what I listened to. How could I make fun of someone who regularly tell me that I would "feel good in every way"?


Side A contains a more general session about calm and harmony, while the B-side focuses on the reduction of smoking and better sleep. Some classic work is heard in the background, such as Bach's Air, while Lars-Eric with a druggy voice tells the listener to relax. Deeper and deeper. And deeper. In the hypnotic state you are then given positive suggestions that will influence the listener positively, both during the listening of the album, but also in life outside the listening session. As mentioned, the A side is more on general peace, while the B side will help you with smoking and sleeping difficulties.

In the typed sheets it's mentioned that the first few times you listen to the LP you'll probably not be hypnotized, you have to listen to it several times on a regular basis. And of course this was the case for me, I didn't achieve any changed state of consciousness. After almost two sides of hearing Lars-Eric's stony voice telling me to relax and feel good, I became a bit bored.


But I have kept my new found positive view of the album, for surely it's a good thing trying to help people to a greater calm and better sleep? Of course you must see the record for what it is, it dates from 1969 and suffers a bit from time. At the same time hypnosis is still used in treatments and personal development, and no one can therefore just condemn it as some "hippie stuff from 60's". Personally, I recognized a lot of the relaxation techniques from the Yoga class I'm currently taking and the Yoga-nidra sessions we do (deep relaxation). It made me positively surprised when I realized that the old Yoga teachers must have learned a great deal from Lars-Eric. Or maybe it's vice versa?

In order to get something out of this LP one should probably listen to it several times to learn to get into the right state of mind. The goal is then to be able to do suggestions yourself, without the aid of the LP. I don't feel motivated enough to do this and will probably put the album back in its old role as a fun inventory and a rare bird in the shelf. But I've got a greater respect for it and no longer want to make fun of it. Maybe the hypnosis did work, after all?

I can mention that Lars-Eric was one of the people who introduced mental training for athletes in Sweden and has worked with a lot of outstanding athletes. He has published lots of books, CDs, etc. and currently runs the Scandinavian leadership school AB in Örebro. When he made Hypnos, he was 31 years old.

Tracklist
Side A


1.Hypnosinduktion Med Allmäna Suggestioner Om Lugn, Avspänning Och Vila
(Hypnosis Induction With General Suggestion About Peace, Relaxation And Sleep)

Side B
1. Rökanvvänjning (Smoking Cessation)
2. Sömnsuggessioner (Sleep Suggestions)

No comments:

Post a Comment