Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Kate Bush – “Lionheart” (1978)

Lionheart

I should first clarify my relationship with Kate Bush - if I had not been married to my wonderful wife, I had probably been married to Kate Bush. Alternatively, Sandra Bullock. In the world of music, Kate has always been one of my favorites, her music has always been a bit of a challenge, but not too much. She has created everything from dreamy to mystical to sublime to playful to theatrical to dance-friendly music. I problably seldom get what the texts are about, but I like them nonetheless. The interviews I've seen with her give the picture of a gentle, wise and humble person. It doesn’t matter that there’s a 14-year age difference between us (she is older than me). I think there could have been love between us. Or what do you think?

With that said, I have given myself the right to continue in a bit more negative way. I bought this album in my late teens and I have always thought it was OK, but not more. I still feel the same, which is a bit unusual for a Kate Bush album. Most of Kate's records are inner journeys, sometimes beautiful and harmonious, other times dark and scary. This LP doesn’t get hold of me at all in that way and I have always thought this album as one of Kate's weaker creations. Kate herself agrees: "Bush has often expressed dissatisfaction with Lionheart, feeling that she needed more time to get it right." (Wikipedia). Apparently the record company EMI was stressed and wanted a quick sequel to her debut The Kick Inside. Lionheart was released nine months after the first album.

In comparison with other titles Kate has done the differences are spontaneously two. First, many tracks are simply a bit weaker than usual. Secondly, I get no sense of a wholeness concerning the album, something most of her other albums provides in a different (and better) way. Maybe it’s there the problem lies concerning my feeling of not being invited to an inner journey. The journey ends after each song and have to start all over again.

On the other hand, even a weaker Kate Bush album is better than a lot of other stuff being offered the musically thirsty man or woman. Sometimes it's difficult when you write about about an album - if you want to to compare the music, should one compare the music with the artist's other creations, or with other artists? In a way it feels kind of strange to write some negative words about Lionheart, this is done in comparison with other records Kate has created. Would I just have the average popular music played on radio in my head, I would probably praise Lionheart in a different way. (Or am I letting my feelings for Kate affect me right now?)

Kate was 20 years old when Lionheart was released. After the LP was out on the market Kate had to go on an extensive promotional trip and a longer tour (six weeks), the only long tour of her career. Because she was dissatisfied with how the recording had been done with Lionheart, she thereafter created her own music publishing company, Kate Bush Music, and her own management company. In these companies Kate and her family members were the board of directors. In this way Kate got total control over her creations and following recordings. After the time of Lionheart Kate began to spend increasingly more time in the studio and was for long periods invisible to the public eye.

Summary: This is a record that has regularly spun on the turntable and it contains some really good songs. But as mentioned, Kate can do better.


Favorite Songs

Hammer Horror

Kashka From Baghdad

In Search Of Peter Pan

 

Tracklist

Side A

1. "Symphony in Blue" 
2. "In Search of Peter Pan" 
3. "Wow" 
4. "Don't Push Your Foot on the Heartbrake" 
5. "Oh England My Lionheart" 

Side B

6. "Fullhouse" 
7. "In the Warm Room" 
8. "Kashka From Baghdad" 
9. "Coffee Homeground" 
10. "Hammer Horror"

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment