Monday, December 27, 2010

Frank Zappa - “Broadway the hard way” (1988)

Zappa_Broadway_The_Hard_Way

The idea I have of Frank Zappa is that he is an artist I should like, but never really understood. I never know if I should take his music seriously or if it is a joke. At the same time I have very little experience of this man, except this album I’ve got Freak Out. Apart from that I’ve only heard a few songs on the radio. In the music world Zappa seems to be one of the most respected names and looking at his production he appears to be one of the most creative. Much of what he has done goes outside the usual musical framework and as a person, he seems to have been both funny and intelligent.Therefore I should like Zappa. But things are not always what they should be.

I got this LP for Christmas from my brother, probably 1988, so I was 16 years old. I think I was at least ten years too young to understand the music and the lyrics. The album is full of political satire that was completely wasted on me. Firstly I've never been the one who listens very carefully to the lyrics, secondly it was satire about people who were not too familiar to me, and thirdly I simply didn’t know it was satire. Instead, I thought it was quite unserious music, like an American Eddie Meduza (a Swedish musician who made not too serious music, to say the least). At the same time I knew already at this age that Zappa was a very respected musician, and these two ideas I had trouble getting into co-existence.

To really appreciate this LP, it is probably important to understand the lyrics since they have a greater importance here than usual. The music in the songs is not so amazing that it stands by itself all the way and for me, mainly listening to the music, listening to this record is a slightly strange experience. It reminds me of a circus or a Marx Brothers movie. The LP has been played some on my record player but I have never managed to create a closer relationship to it. When I listened to it before writing this post it was the first time for almost 20 years I heard it. Still I found it hard to groove to.

It should be mentioned that the songs are live recordings from Zappa's 1988 tour, his last with a band. I haven’t heard enough of Zappa to know if this album is representative of him or not. After this album and Freak Out, it has not become more Zappa for me. Have I missed anything?


Favorite Songs 

Elvis har just left the building

When the lie’s so big

 

Tracklist

Side A

  1. "Elvis Has Just Left the Building" – 2:24
  2. "Planet of the Baritone Women" – 2:48
  3. "Any Kind of Pain" – 5:42
  4. "Jesus Thinks You're a Jerk" – 9:15

Side B

  1. "Dickie's Such an Asshole" – 6:37
  2. "When the Lie's So Big" – 3:38
  3. "Rhymin' Man" – 3:51
  4. "Promiscuous" – 2:03
  5. "The Untouchables"  – 3:05

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment