Sunday, May 3, 2020

Electric Light Orchestra - "Out of the Blue" (1977)

This album was part of my parents' record shelf during my childhood. I don't think I ever heard them play it, instead I picked it out myself when I was around 11-12 years old, for exploration. It was a disappointment. The cover with a mysterious space station and groovy colors promised something special, but the content didn't live up to the expectations, I thought it was pretty boring music. Only one song got me going, Jungle, which became one of my childhood favorites. Even though I thought they sang about Coca Coca Cola Light in the chorus, but that misunderstanding maybe just made it better (the chorus actually goes Chooka chooka hoo la ley, Looka looka koo la ley). Jungle often had a spin on the stereo at home, but the rest of the songs remained in silence. When my parents decided to get rid of their LPs later on, I saved it, and it ended up with me.

It's a double LP where Jeff Lynn wrote all the songs and produced. He has his own sound with which he has become very successful, and here you get it. A lot. Lots of strings, harmonies and clear vibes of the Beatles, Beach Boys and Bee Gees. Very well produced. Lynn wrote all the songs in three and a half weeks during a stay in the Swiss Alps. To me it really has a 70s sound, mostly thanks to all the strings, I think. My first adult encounter with Lynn was via Traveling Wilburys, where the sound is recognized. Many people believe that Out of the Blue is one of ELOs best albums. As an adult, I like it much better than as a child, but it's still not really my thing.

There is no doubt there are generally qualitative songs on the album, Lynn is a skilled composer. A lot of songs get stuck in the brain, and the record resulted in a number of hits. The third side consists of a weather-themed suite, which apparently was Lynn's last attempt at a symphonic rock creation. I don't mind symphonic rock and concept albums, so I'm perfectly fine with that. But I think a double album is simply a bit too much. I probably would have liked this album better if they had picked out the best songs and created a single record instead. Now I get tired of Lynn's sound half way through, and switch to something else.


Tracklist

Side A
1. Turn to Stone 3:47
2. It's Over 4:08
3. Sweet Talkin 'Woman 3:47
4. Across the Border 3:52

Side B
1. Night in the City 4:02
2. Starlight 4:30
3. Jungle 3:51
4. Believe Me Now 1:21
5. Steppin 'Out 4:38

Side C (Concerto for a Rainy Day)
1. Standin 'in the Rain 4:20
2. Big Wheels 5:10
3. Summer and Lightning 4:13
4. Mr. Blue Sky 5:05

Side D
1. Sweet Is the Night 3:26
2. The Whale 5:05
3. Birmingham Blues 4:21
4. Wild West Hero 4:40



No comments:

Post a Comment