Friday, February 7, 2020

Giorgio Moroder & Joe Esposito - "Solitary Men" (1983)

I have a few albums where Moroder has been involved, both as an artist and as a producer. And I like them, he creates a nice, slightly dark and dangerous, disco sound. So a record with his name on could be something, I thought. Joe Esposito was an unknown name, but I thought that Moroder's name was enough for some kind of quality guarantee.

But I was wrong. This is a real 80's album, with everything negative that means, including a cheesy saxophone. Shitty sound with cheap drum machines and as cheap synths. Uninteresting songs and Esposito singing with soft, sleazy voice. The previous owner had noted every song's BPM on the back, maybe they were a DJ, what do I know. But this is not music that makes me want to dance. There is not beat enough in it, no nice hooks. They've thrown in a cover of Moody Blues' Nights In White Satin, but not even that gets interesting.



I, who have an instinctive loathing towards typical 80s music, am completely the wrong target group for this record. My children will inherit it in exactly the same condition as it is in now. Rubbish, honestly. The $1 bin.

Tracklist

Side A
1. Solitary Man 3:47
2. Show Me The Night 3:48
3. My Girl 3:52
4. Too Hot To Touch 3:28
5. Diamond Lizzy 3:20
6. Washed In The Neon Light 4:08

Side B
1. A Love Affair 3:46
2. Nights In White Satin 4:02
3. Lady, Lady 4:14
4. White Hotel 4:32
5. To Turn The Stone 3:11



No comments:

Post a Comment