Thursday, November 21, 2019

Genesis - "Wind & Wuthering" (1976)

Genesis eighth album, and the last where guitarist Steve Hackett participated. At this time the band was a quartet consisting of Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks and Hackett. But apparently Hackett was not satisfied with the direction the band's music started to take, and even more unhappy that his song ideas were not used enough. So he left the band some time later, and has had a relatively successful solo career afterwards.

Some claim this was the last prog rock album from Genesis, and that they were increasingly orienting themselves towards pop music. This development did not happen overnight, but was rather a process, e.g. the latter record ... And Then There Were Three ... still contains some prog, but with a clearer element of pop. However, I can't  deny the surface of Wind & Wuthering feels more polished, produced and commercialized than on previous LPs. Sometimes almost lightweight. Maybe it's because of the synths.


Initially, I had a hard time getting through the wall of polish, the music felt pretty shallow, and passed by without leaving any traces. But as usual, the album grew with the amount of visits on the turntable. It's a pretty good album, with some really nice compositions, mixed with some more boring ones. Generally I don't like the instrumentals, for me they do not fill any real purpose, except as fillers. The songs with vocals are more interesting. In these, Genesis offers the more epic and sweeping creations, which can be likened to musical journeys. However, the songs Your Own Special Way and Afterglow are no masterpieces. Especially the former I avoid, a cheesy love ballad, far from anything called prog. This song hints what is to come (perhaps most regarding Collins).

I have a problem with the record, Phil Collins singing. Throughout my childhood and much of my adult life, I have associated Phil Collins with a bunch of cheesy 80s hits. He was huge in this genre in the 80s. So still when I hear his voice, I instinctively think that's the kind of music I'm hearing. This connection is obviously difficult to break, it's a pity, cause it negatively affects my experience. If I imagine it's Peter Gabriel singing the songs, the quality is suddenly is raised a snap. Even so, a pretty good record, still prog, I suppose, as there are some relatively long and complex pieces. But the more commercial version of Genesis is beginning to emerge.


Tracklist

Side A
1. Eleventh Earl of Mar 7:45
2. One for the Vine 10:00
3. Your Own Special Way 6:19
4. Wot Gorilla? 3:21

Side B
1. All in a Mouse's Night 6:39
2. Blood on the Rooftops 5:28
3. Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers ... 2:20
4. ... In That Quiet Earth 4:54
5. Afterglow 4:11




No comments:

Post a Comment