Saturday, December 1, 2018

Tom Waits - "Rain Dogs" (1985)

This is another album I felt the need to save from my parents lets-get-rid-of-all-records project, it belonged to my mother. I remember that she sometimes played it at home, and how she expressed she liked it, and that I never understood what she meant. For the teenage version of me, this album was way too weird. Tom Waits' voice was strange, and I thought my mother was as strange to like it. Did she really know anything about music?

Today I think differently. It's a good and interesting album with a different sound. It's usually considered to be the second album in a trilogy, where Swordfishtrombones and Franks Wild Years are the start and end. The music could be described as some kind of Vaudeville. Kurt Weill mixed up with Dr. John's voodoo blues and a spoon of Les Claypool, maybe. Instruments used in the songs include Farfisa organ, trombone, marimba and accordion. Together with Waits' peculiar voice, a distinctive mood is created, it's like a snake in the gutter that tells you in his wheezing voice about the night's shadow creatures.


This mood is broken a few times by the more easily accessible and beautiful creations Time and Downtown Train (which later became a big hit with Rod Stewart). Hang Down Your Head is also one of the more "normal" songs that might be needed to balance the more weird creations. In three songs you hear Keith Richards on guitar, as he puts his typical licks over the music. On one song, Tony Levin is heard on bass. The album has a Swedish connection as the album cover photo is taken by Anders Petersen, it's a picture from Hamburg from the 60's, although many have thought it's Tom Waits himself who is portrayed.

A good and challenging album, that might not suit everyone, though, as it has a very peculiar and special sound. 19 songs in just under 54 minutes. A lot of music to be one record. Many think it's Tom Waits' best, personally, I can't say as I haven't heard so many of his other albums.


Tracklist

Side A
1. "Singapore" 2:46
2. "Clap Hands" 3:47
3. "Cemetery Polka" 1:51
4. "Jockey Full of Bourbon" 2:45
5. "Tango Till They're Sore" 2:49
6. "Big Black Mariah" 2:44
7. "Diamonds & Gold" 2:31
8. "Hang Down Your Head" 2:32
9. "Time" 3:55

Side B
1. "Rain Dogs" 2:56
2. "Midtown" 1:00
3. "9th & Hennepin" 1:58
4. "Gun Street Girl" 4:37
5. "Union Square" 2:24
6. "Blind Love" 4:18
7. "Walking Spanish" 3:05
8. "Downtown Train" 3:53
9. "Bride of Rain Dog" 1:07
10. "Anywhere I Lay My Head" 2:48




No comments:

Post a Comment