Thursday, October 5, 2017

Andy Summers - "XYZ" (1987)


Let's continue the theme of members of The Police, this time the guitarist Andy Summers. The Police laid down their weapons in 1986, so at the time of the release of XYZ, Summers was on his own. I've never been a big fan of The Police and have none of their albums, the reason I have XYZ is simply that I found it in a record shop around the corner with a price tag of 2-3 Canadian dollars. So I thought it might be worth it to hear how Summers, who is considered to be a talented guitarist, sounds as a solo artist.

Summer's three children apparently bear the middle names X, Y and Z, so that's where the title of the album comes from. This makes at least me think that Summers has a certain sense of humor, albeit somewhat weird, perhaps. When I thought of names for my children, I didn't for a fraction of a second consider giving them a letter as middle names. I need to be more open minded. Maybe L, S and D would be cool middle names, if you've got three kids, as Summers?


This is the only album in Summer's catalog where he sings, all others are instrumentals. I think his voice is OK, it's quite dark and a little raspy, but feels somewhat flat and inexpressive in the long run. I had expected more focus on the guitar on a solo record with Summers, but the guitar really doesn't get more attention than usual on a pop / rock album. The record was released in 1987 and that can be heard. I'm allergic to the typical 80s productions, and even if it's not taken to an extreme on XYZ, it's enough for me to not like it. There are drum machines and too dominant synthesizers (sometimes).

Here and there are some OK songs, and with a different sound they would be even better, but overall the songs are no more than average, nothing out of the ordinary. Summers offers a pretty regular pop / rock album, which at least I can do quite well without. So no need to run to the record shop (or look it up on Spotify).


Tracklist

Side A
1 Love Is The Strangest Way 4:20
2 How Many Days 5:71
3 Almost There 4:30
4 Eyes Of A Stranger 4:47
5 The Change 2:53

Side B
1 Scary Voices 4:37
2 Nowhere 4:35
3 XYZ 2:46
4 The Only Road 3:40
5 Hold Me 4:48




No comments:

Post a Comment