Friday, September 23, 2016

Ray LaMontagne - "Ouroboros" (2016)


Mr. LaMontagne is a new acquaintance in my life. I met him one spring day when I listened to the only internet radio station I sometimes use, Radio Paradise. I needed to lighten things up a little at work.

Ouroboros is a really groovy record, fuzzy and druggy without being too much. It's like a mix of Spiritualized, Pink Floyd and Beck. It's one of these albums you sometimes meet which have no weak tracks. Produced by none other than Jim James from My Morning Jacket, who also takes part with some singing and instrument playing. A total of eight songs, but the record describes itself as Part One and Part Two. And that's exactly the way it is, two consecutive sides that create a whole. I also have LaMontagne's previous record, Supernova. That's also a good record, but I think Ouroboros is even better.

So, not much more to say, get the album, inhale and float away. Modern psychedelia at its best. LaMontagne ends the entire album with the lines 'You never gonna hear this song on the radio'. I hope he's wrong.




Tracklist

Part One
1. Homecoming - 8:28
2. Hey, No Pressure - 6:34
3. The Changing Man - 4:13
4. While It Still Beats - 4:10

Part Two
1. In My Own Way - 6:36
2. Another Day - 3:05
3. A murmuration of Starlings - 2:33
4. Wouldn't It Make a Lovely Photograph - 3:58




No comments:

Post a Comment