Sunday, May 8, 2016

Motörhead - "Bad Magic" (2015)


I've never been a huge Motörhead fan, listening to the band is like being run over by a truck. But I've always been a Lemmy fan. I've seen him as one of the coolest persons in the music industry, and that under the somewhat unpolished surface there was a gentle and funny guy. Someone I can identify with. I have admired his ability to withstand the surrounding's expectations and just do his thing (although, of course, after a while this exactly becomes the expectations). As a man who is an obeying part in society's machinery, I wished that I too would have more of the ability of liberty and go my own way. Lemmy lived the life I would want to live. He was a hard tocking rebel with a kind heart.


So when Lemmy passed away about six months ago, I became more emotionally touched than usual when a celebrity you've never met dies. The world lost a really nice guy. So to somehow honor the memory of him, I immediately went out and bought Motörhead's latest and of course last studio album, their 22nd.

In my record collection there's a couple of other Motörhead albums and a number of Hawkwind records, the band Lemmy played in before he formed Motörhead. But as mentioned, I'm no great knower of their music, Generally the album received positive reviews when it was released, in which a thread was that it sounds like Motörhead always does. No greater variation between the 22 albums the band has done. Lemmy insisted that they didn't play metal, they played rock'n'roll. Hard rock'n'roll, I would say. It's fast, quite aggressively in my ears, and in punk circles Motörhead has always been a popular band,


One must respect bands that are trios. You can't hide behind someone else. Here Motörhead is in the fine company of bands like The Police and Rush. Lemmy has said that his distinctive bass playing comes from that he plays bass as if it's a guitar, since he started his musical career as a guitarist. I myself am an old hobby bassist, at the lowest level, and can only say I respect anyone who can play the bass and sing at the same time.

Lemmy's autobiography, White Line Fever, can be recommended, in which his adventurous life journey is described. Bad Magic is probably as good as any of Motörheads albums, but of course not everyone will appreciate the rock monster Motörhead. Inside the LP box, some good stuff await the owner. In addition to the (almost) mandatory mp3 download, you'll get the CD, a cool patch to sew on your jacket's shoulder, a back patch for the same jacket and finally a Bad Magic poster. Very appriciated. The last song on the album is a cover of the Stones Sympathy for the Devil, which became the final words of Lemmy and Motörhead.




Tracklist

Side A
1. Victory Or Die 3:09
2. Thunder & Lightning 3:05
3. Firestorm Hotel 3:34
4. Shoot Out All Of Your Lights 3:14
5. The Devil 2:53
6. Electricity 2:17
7. Evil Eye 2:20

Side B
1. Teach Them How To Bleed 3:11
2. The End 4:05
3. Tell Me Who To Kill 2:57
4. Choking On Your Screams 3:33
5. When The Sky Comes Looking For You 2:55
6. Sympathy For The Devil 5:18


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-

No comments:

Post a Comment