Friday, October 3, 2014

Wire - "154" (1979)


Here's a really nice album - The English band Wire's album named after the number of concerts they had performed at the time of recording. This was their third album, and many pundits believe it's their best creation. Personally I haven't heard enough from their voluminous record catalog in order to express an opinion on this, but no doubt it's high quality music.

Wire was born in the punk movement and their music is often defined as post-punk or art punk. Personally I think it often sounds like a punkier version of Roxy Music, for example the opening track I Should Have Known Better, I can easily hear Bryan Ferry sing. Add some the Stranglers and the mix is complete (I say this without having heard too much of the Stranglers). And maybe a little Blondie ...? Or am I delirious now?


Wire often creates a pretty dark soundscape that can sometimes feel a bit heavy. They mix atmospheric sound collages à la Brian Eno with punk songs as well as some more radio-friendly songs. An example of the latter is one of my favorites, the fabulous The 15th, which sounds a lot like my new hometown Montreal's pride Arcade Fire. Another favorite is the B-side's opening track. A Mutual Friend, where Wire's artistic ambitions are perfectly balanced with the slightly more accessible and very beautiful.

Wire is considered one of the more influential bands in the 70s and 80s, although their record sales didn't reach the same heights. Scores of bands and artists mention Wire as one of their major sources of inspiration and influence. Especially their first three albums are mentioned in this context. Wire is still active and released their last album in 2013.


The first edition of 154 also contained an EP, but I haven't got this one in my possession. In summary, an album I can recommend, but perhaps not for everyone since parts of the album are quite inaccessible. I like the mix of punk, pop and the more artistic sound excursions. It becomes an exciting and varied experience. On the other side of the coin, I find the sometimes too neurotic and dark moods that are created.

Tracklist

Side A
1. I Should Have Knowm Better 3.52
2. Two People In A Room 2.10
3. The 15th 3.05
4. The Other Window 2.07
5. Single K.O. 2.23
6. A Touching Display 6.55
7. On Returning 2.06

Side B
1. A Mutual Friende 4.28
2. Blessed State 3.28
3. Once Is Enough 3.23
4. Map Ref. 41 N 93 W 3.40
5. Indirect Enquiries 3.36
6. 40 Versions 3.28



No comments:

Post a Comment