Monday, August 12, 2013

Jerry Harrison – “The Red And The Black” (1981)
 
 
As an old Talking Heads fan I couldn’t resist when I found this album cheap somewhere in Uppsala. The time of this purchase was during my late teens when I was in high school. At the time, a record purchase was a major life event.

For those who don’t know Jerry Harrison, he was the keyboardist in Talking Heads, at times also their guitarist. Prior to his involvement in Talking Heads, he was in the band The Modern Lovers. The Red And The Black was his first solo album and was recorded between the Talking Heads albums Remain In Light and Speaking In Tounges. And yes, we hear a lot of Talking Heads in the music, or is it that we hear a lot of Jerry Harrison in Talking Heads’ music? David Byrne has always been credited as the creator of Talking Heads’ music and sound, but many believe that Jerry Harrison has been sadly overlooked when it comes to this.

 
Jerry Harrison's voice differs from Byrne's which gives the songs on The Red And The Black his own personal touch, but would you replace his voice with Byrne’s, many of the songs could have been taken from Speaking In Tounges or Remain In Light. A similar sound, in other words. It's funky, rhythmic and neurotic.

Personally, I’ve always had a hard time with this album. I find it difficult to really get into the music, it's like a compact wall I can’t pass, I haven’t found the door. So I’m left standing outside wondering what’s going inside. I know a lot of people appreciate The Red And The Black, and it gets good reviews online. But the funky sound mangling makes me tired, and the sound is exactly the same in all songs. So after a while I feel a bit bored, more variety would have made life easier for yours truly. Worlds In Collision is the track I like best, where Harrison has created a song that sounds more like the music on his album Casual Gods which was released later during the 80’s.

The album took just two weeks to record, and Nona Hendryx contributes with choir and on guitar Andrew Belew is heard.

 
Tracklist

Side A
1. Things Fall Apart 4:58
2. Slink 4:17
3. The New Adventure 5:05
4. Magic Hymie 4:48

Side B
1. Fast Karma/No Questions 3:55
2. Worlds In Collision 5:03
3. The Red Nights 4:03
4. No More Reruns 4:23
5. No Warning, No Alarm 3:35





No comments:

Post a Comment