Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lee Hazlewood – "Requim For An Almost Lady" (1971)


Another one of these cool and beautiful Hazlewood albums. This album is globally seen as something of a rarity as it was released only in Sweden and England, at the time. A reissue was made in the U.S. in 1999, but of course you want the original in your shelf. On discogs.com it says large letters regarding the Swedish press:

Notice: IT IS ILLEGAL TO SELL THIS ALBUM IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND ITS TERRITORIES, THE UNITED KINGDOM, CANADA AND AUSTRALIA.

The reason for this, I have no idea, but it certainly enhances the mystery surrounding the album. And since I have the Swedish version, I feel a bit like a desperado. Living on the wild side!


As mentioned in previous posts Lee lived in Sweden at the time, which explains why it was released here (and the U.K.), obviously I can count myself lucky (living in Sweden). Many regard this as one of his best records and I’m somewhat inclined to agree. The sound is relatively simple, most songs consist of Lee's vocals, acoustic guitar and bass. No fat string arrangements, no sound effects and no choirs to fill things out. But make no mistake, you don’t miss that. Firstly, and most important, it's really good songs, almost all of them. Secondly, Lee's deep voice makes such a mark on each song that they become something extraordinary. Thirdly, the texts often have some sort of dark twist or semi surrealistic content that entertains and / or interests. The opening song I'm Glad I Never, I first experience as a beautiful love song until the brutal final line is sung, "I'm glad I never ... owned a gun. ". Suddenly the song became something else.


As is customary with Lee the music leans a bit toward Country & Western, but on Requim... it’s just as much singer songwriter like Leonard Cohen, for example. Many of the songs are very delicate and beautiful creations, while there’s always some sort of druggy psychedelic touch that elevates them a couple of levels. But had Kenny Rogers sang them, I'm sure it had sounded just like classic Country & Western music. All songs are introduced by a few spoken lines by Lee.

I highly recommended this album to humanity, just the piece of art the cover is justifies a purchase. I've seen it sold for around 100 USD in my hometown Uppsala, so it felt like a bargain when I found it in good condition for under 30 USD in Gothenburg. Thank you, Gothenburg, we love you.


 
Tracklist

Side A
1. I'm Glad I Never... – 1:04

2. If It's Monday Morning – 3:54
3. L.A. Lady - 2:20
4. Won't You Tell Your Dreams - 3:52
5. I'll Live Yesterdays - 2:50

Side B
1. Little Miss Sunshine (Little Miss Rain) - 2:33
2. Stone Lost Child - 2:02
3. Come on Home to Me - 2:58
4. Must Have Been Something I Loved - 1:40
5. I'd Rather Be Your Enemy - 2:12


No comments:

Post a Comment