Thursday, February 24, 2011

Genesis – “And Then There Were Three” (1978)

Genesis

Is there something that makes two people connect more than admiration of, or even love for, Marillion - probably the world’s most underrated band? I can’t think of anything. I found myself at a party in Lund (in the south of Sweden) during the last of my years as a student there, when the host (whom I knew from before) and I suddenly got a deeper relationship. We discovered that we both had a deep admiration for this band. The conversation of course continued in the field of music, and among other things the host told me about the album that is today’s theme - "Genesis best album", according to him. Since Marillion lovers share a strong trust in each other and have a great respect for each other’s musical knowledge, I bought this album as soon as I got the chance. This was probably around the turn of 1998/99.

At this time Genesis was a relatively unexplored concept for me and I had therefore no specific expectations of what I would hear. The first few times I heard the album I did not think it was anything special, it was not bad, but nor left any larger footprints. But as it often is, the album grew for each listening and I began to see the beauty of it and all its hidden jewels. Finally, it became one of the favorites among my vinyl records, top 10 no doubt, and it’s one of the LPs that have been played most during my adult years.

As the record's title suggests, Genesis consisted at this time of three persons - Phil Collins, Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford. Guitarist Steve Hackett had just left the band. Genesis continued as this trio until 1996, the longest period with an unchanged line-up for the band. Many people think this was Genesis first step towards the more commercial and easily digestible pop they created in the 80s, but that they still had one foot in the progressive genre they belonged to during the earlier years in the 70s. I think that’s a description that fits quite well -  it’s not a "difficult" album with odd arrangements, strange time signatures, unusual musical instruments or songs that are 20 minutes long. At the same time it’s not a straight forward and simple pop record, most songs contain details or arrangements that makes them different from a lot of other music and you can often hear echoes of the epic suites Genesis created in their earlier years. The songs are usually 4-5 minutes long, yet I find many of them, yes - epic (no, don’t ask me to define that word, thank you).

Most songs are really good and unique in there own way, there are a few rather boring and uninteresting tracks, but overall it’s a very strong line-up. One thing that brings down the experience half an inch is that I have never really liked Phil Collins’ voice, he sings on all tracks. Although I really like the album, Phil Collins voice together with something in the sound, makes me feel a little bit down when I hear the album, it leaves a slight sense of hopelessness. I don’t know, maybe I had a difficult experience in my childhood.

The song Follow You Follow Me became a hit and helped the record sales. And Then There Were Three became Genesis first gold album in the U.S. (later also platinum). There’s nothing to say about the production and sound quality, in my opinion. It could have been recorded today. All three members contributed to songwriting, Phil Collins is the one who hasn’t written any songs on his own.

I like a lot of progressive music but can sometimes feel it is too "difficult", therefore this album fits me well - a mixture of "light progressive" and pop. That many choruses are bombastic and sweeping makes me even happier. So is this Genesis best album? I don’t know if I want to go that far, much of what they did earlier in the 70's is really good, but it’s a good record and I am glad that I bought it. The sense of hopelessness as mentioned above, is weak in comparison to the beauty the music exhibits. Markus recommends.

Favorite Songs

Undertow

Burning Rope

Scenes From a Night’s Dream

 

Tracklist

Side A
  1. "Down and Out"  – 5:26
  2. "Undertow" – 4:46
  3. "Ballad of Big"  – 4:50
  4. "Snowbound"  – 4:31
  5. "Burning Rope"  – 7:10
Side B
  1. "Deep in the Motherlode" – 5:15
  2. "Many Too Many"  – 3:31
  3. "Scenes from a Night's Dream" – 3:30
  4. "Say It's Alright Joe"  – 4:21
  5. "The Lady Lies" – 6:08
  6. "Follow You Follow Me" – 3:59

 

No comments:

Post a Comment