Sunday, January 30, 2011

Jerry Harrison – “Casual Gods” (1987)

jerry_harrison

As a fan of Talking Heads it was natural to buy a LP with Jerry Harrison, best known as keyboardist / guitarist in that same band. Especially as I found the album really cheap (I think it was around 3$) in a store selling used stuff. I was probably around 18 years old when I bought this LP, unfortunately I then had the questionable characteristic that I found it hard to really appreciate music I found so cheaply. Somehow I felt the music always sounded, well… cheap. Albums I paid full price for always sounded better. Most likely, this psychology is applicable to more than just records, something the commercial forces certainly use to maximize their profits. In other words, I have over the years always liked this album but because of the above reason, I have sorted it into the B-list anyway. Stupid? Very.

Before Jerry Harrison joined Talking Heads he played in the band Modern Lovers, this was in the beginning of the 70s. After Talking Heads broke up (1991) he mostly went into producing others acts, such as Crash Test Dummies, Live, No Doubt and others. He has made three solo albums, Casual Gods is the second of these. All were created during his time in Talking Heads.

When I now listen to the album, I feel it’s a record with some high peaks which consists of a few really good songs. At times Jerry manages to create quite a suggestive atmosphere, the album's closer, Bobby, is a good example of this. But there are, if not deep valleys, at least flat plateaus on the album too. These are some pretty bland, easily forgotten and somewhat boring compositions. Some of the songs can also suffer a bit of a typical 80's sound - somewhere you hear a drum machine, some syntheseizers feel outdated – but overall the recording sounds surprisingly fresh. The cover is also fascinating and can be further studied while listening to the music.

Jerry has produced the album and plays guitar, keyboards and sings. The music has a touch of Talking Heads even if it’s in no way a copy. During my younger years, Let It Come Down was always my favorite, thanks to the powerful chorus which opened the gate to a higher state of mind. For a long time this was actually my favorite chorus regarding choruses all together, an impression that has lasted. No doubt it’s on my top 5 list of greatest choruses ever.

Years have passed and the emotional / psychological connection to the price tag has disappeared. Now I can play the album and actually be able to fully appreciate what I hear. It doesn’t sound cheap anymore.


Favorite Songs

Man With a Gun

Let It Come Down

Are You Running?

 

Tracklist

Side A

1. Rev It Up 4:11

2. Song Of Angels 3:37

3. Man With A Gun 4:40

4. Let It Come Down 4:54

5. Cherokee Chief 4:44

Side B

1. Perfect Lie 4:30

2. Are You Running? 3:56

3. A.K.A. Love 4:25

4. We're Always Talking 4:55

5. Bobby 4:05

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment