Saturday, November 20, 2010

Gyllene Tider - “Puls” (1982)

Puls

As I child, when school finished for the day I went to the “after school-care” run by the city. At that place the children sometimes did different spectacles, it was both on the staff’s and the children's initiative. I remember at such a moment I played the role of the tailor in the history of the glove (?) which ended up becomming nothing (a classic scandinavian tale). Another such performance were some children imitating Gyllene Tider (Golden Times) and miming to a song played by them. This was hugely popular, yes, even so appreciated that some guys who had promised to sabotage the performance (because of a conflict they had with those that would do the show) didn’t execute their evil plan. Everyone loved Gyllene Tider.

At christmas 1982 one of my wishes was therefore a record with Gyllene Tider. Honestly, I didn’t know much about of music at that time, but I knew Gyllene Tider was the band that was on everyone’s lips. My aunt asked me if I really wanted to have the album, or if I wanted it just because everyone else was listening to this band. I replied that I of course really wanted the album. In retrospect, I can admit that there was a lot of truth in my aunt's question, and I already knew that when she asked. But of course I couldn’t admit the truth, that I actually wanted the LP for exactly that reason - everyone else was listening to Gyllene Tider. I just wanted to be part of the group, is that so bad? Forgive me Bigo, hope it’s OK.

Gyllene Tider was formed in 1976 and released their first album in 1980, Puls (Pulse) was their third LP. In Sweden Gyllene Tider is a very familiar concept, yes, even an institution. Internationally, they never managed to break through despite a few attempts. Possibly some connoisseurs around the world know that this was the band Per Gessle played in before Roxette was created and a successful international career took off. Gyllene Tider officially split up 1985.

Although the reason for my desire of this album for Christmas was questionable, I found the album very good. It was played a lot on the turntable, to be honest I didn’t own so many records at this time, so probably it is safe to say that all my records were played a lot on the turntable. Some KISS-records, a Magnus Uggla-record, Djurens Brevlåda (The Animal’s Mailbox) and Trolltider (Times of Trolls) is what I spontaneously remember having. Problably I have forgotten a few but it was in any case not many LP:s. This one was for a relatively long time a favorite.

After a while (a year?) this record got less and less time on the turntable and when I reached my teenage years it had ended up in the section "Records that I am a little bit ashamed of owning now that I'm a teenager". Since then, it has been collecting dust. I of course have seen it countless times when I’ve browsed through my records but I have never got the idea of playing it. It has felt too much like an album I liked as a child and that it has nothing to offer me as an adult. Some songs like Sommartider (Summertimes) or Flickan i en Cole Porter-sång (The Girl in a Cole Porter song)  I of course have heard on the radio a lot since they have been, and still are, big hits in Sweden (at least Sommartider).

When I now listen to it as an adult, I must admit that many of the songs are actually quite OK, even if it is not really my kind of music. But seen as the pop album it is, it’s well made and most of the songs are easily accessible, catchy, has a clear "hook" and are easy to dig. Just like a good pop album should be like. The album consists of swedish summer, broken hearts, love and lust. Per Gessle is a strong and proven hitmaker and this can be heard already at this time, perhaps even more here than in the time of Roxette. I notice that some of the melodies have a tendency to get stuck in my head and whatever I do they do not disappear. Right now, the syntheizer loop from the title track just wont leave my mind. Even if this makes me frustrated, it is a good proof that it’s a well written song. The song Sommartider is probably one of the biggest Swedish summer songs ever created and still, almost 30 years after it was released, it’s played extensively every summer on the radio, discos, clubs and parties. Personally, I have for a very long time been tired of this song and find much more joy in many other tracks on the album.


Favorite Songs

Honung och Guld

Jag vänder mig om

Flickan i en Cole Porter-sång

 

Tracklist

Side A

1. "(Hon vill ha) Puls"

2. "Vän till en vän"

3. "Sommartider"

4. "Jag vänder mig om"

5. "Kustvägen söderut"

6. "Vandrar i ett sommarregn"

Side B

1 "Händerna"

2. "Flickan i en Cole Porter-sång"

3. "Upphetsad"

4. "Honung och guld"

5. "Som regn på en akvarell”

6. "För mycket är aldrig nog"

7. "Lova att du aldrig glömmer bort mig"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment