Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Beatles - “Yellow Submarine” (1969)

Yellow submarine

With a warm heart I remember the time in my life when bands like the Beatles were still unexplored worlds. Each new album you laid your hands on was a new adventure. It was that time of life when you had time to explore an album in depth, ponder on the texts or meditate on the symbolism of the cover art. A lot could be seen, of which probably 97% were one's own mind's inventions. You created a deeper personal relationship with each LP compared with today, when music is so easily accessible. If the old times were better times I leave unsaid, though.

Since this album with the Beatles is a bit more neglected than their other creations, I was even more curious about it. I got it for Christmas, I think I was 18 years old. The music is a soundtrack for the film of the same name and the album contains four previously unreleased Beatles songs, two previously released, and a B-side which is an orchestral work by George Martin. This explains why this record has been overlooked and hardly counts as a "real" Beatles album.

Personally, I skip the B side when I listen to the album, George Martin's symphonic film music is not very interesting and sounds like soundtrack to animated films often do (I imagine). What I like with the A-side is that it includes some less familiar songs by the Beatles,songs I find really good. It starts with "Yellow Submarine", a song originally on the album Revolver. Everyone knows this tune and personally I liked it better before. Now I’ve heard it too much and it gives me the vibes of children’s music. Above that, the sing-a-long chorus is completely worn out.

Then it gets more interesting with George Harrison's creation, "Only A Northern Song". This song was a leftover from the recording of Sgt Pepper and is a song with an unusual amount of keyboards (for being the Beatles). The song title is apparently a reference relating to Harrison's dissatisfaction to be related to the company Northern Songs regarding his musical creations, a company of which John and Paul owned the largest part. It is certainly a nice psychedelic gem, quite dark in its tone.

The LP continues with "All Together Now", a McCartney song that don’t need to be heard. In the past I liked it, but not today. Typical McCartney sing-a-long like "Yellow Submarine".

Then we hear, "Hey Bulldog", a Lennon song with a bit more punch in it. The song is not wellknown but sounds typical Lennon, a bit bitterness, a bit nasty and a bit critical.

"All Too Much" follows next and is the highlight of the album. Again a Harrison song, with both mellotron and lots of guitar feedback. This is a really fine example of psychedelic music, a music teacher who lectures on this kind of music should be forced to play "All Too Much". It is unusually long and stops at 6:25.

The A-side ends with "All You Need Is Love". A classic (previously released as a single) which we have heard too much. I’m really tired of it, but to be honest, I actually have never liked it. Are you allowed to dislike this song?


Favorite tracks

“Only A Northern Song”

“All Too Much”

 

Tracklist

Side A

1. Yellow Submarine

2. Only A Northern Song

3. All Together Now

4. Hey Bulldog

5. All Too Much

6. All You Need Is Love

 

Side B

1. Pepperland

2. Sea Of Time

3. Sea Of Holes

4. Sea Of Monsters

5. March Of The Meanies

6. Pepperland Laid Waste

7. Yellow Submarine In Pepperland

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment