Thursday, September 30, 2010

Syd Barrett - “Barrett” (1970)

Barrett 

The man, the myth, the legend. The mystic, the madman, the enigma. The man who took the 60's slogan "Tune in, turn on, drop out" seriously, but (probably) too far. Syd Barrett, one of Pink Floyd's founding members, the frontman and creative engine of that band the first years. Then he disappeared into another world and we had to do without his work, while he lived with his mother in Cambridge.

As a fan of Pink Floyd Syd's name soon came up. The articles / texts I read about him gave the impression that this was a mythical figure, and not least, a genius. Most people know his story - a bursting creativity around the years Pink Floyd began (1966-67) which was soon changed to eccentric and unruly behavior, which ultimately led to Syd being ousted from the band. His ill-health was said to have its roots in great fame too quick and massive intake of LSD. He made a couple of solo records in 1970 but then withdrew and more or less broke the contact with the outside world. 2006, he died due to his diabetes. There are books written about this man so anyone interested has a lot to choose from.

I bought my first CD player in 1991 which resulted in a long pause of vinyl purchases, so I problably bought this album the year / years before that which means I was around 18 years old. I was very curios about this man and expectations were high on the album, this had to be the ultimate psychedelic, groovy and cool album. I mean, it was Syd Barrett who had created it. Yes, he had become such a myth for me that I simply could not dislike this album. In other words, it was not with an objective mind I got to know this LP and my mind was for many years influenced by the myths surrounding Syd. I liked this album, I played it quite often. But in the back of my mind there was a doubt, although I barely allowed that feeling in my consciousness.

I’ll be honest with you, with 20 years between the purchase and writing this post, I find this album not so good. Many of the songs feel relatively unfocused and it feels as if they barely have managed to get Syd to sing and play guitar. Just as the myths influenced me earlier in life to feel positive for this music, today, everything I know about Syd and his life problably affects my view of the record, but in the opposite way. Today I know how hard it was to record the album. I know how difficult he was to work with. I know all the interviews and the concerts when he was behaving very strangely, and / or just walked away. I think the madness shines through on the album.

Perhaps it is the knowledge of his mental illness that makes me feel that the album generally has a rather dark tone, in the song Dominoes this becomes most evident. There are also moments of the opposite, the whimsical Syd, Effervescing Elephant is a good example. It also needs to be said that there are a few really good songs too, Love Song was a long time one of my favorite songs and were always on the playlist of the mixed tapes I did for friends and family. Wined and Dined is another song that is OK, a song I still love to play on the guitar and sing (to my wife's complaints).

If it was anyone else than Syd Barrett who had tried to publish this music I don’t think any record company would have responded. Thanks to my interest in the myth Syd, and that this myth gives the music something more than just what comes out of the speakers, I must give this record an “OK”, though. If it was Kris Kristofferson or John Fogerty who had recorded these songs, I might never have listened to it. Well, maybe I would just to amuse myself with the absurdity of that one of them had recorded songs like these.

It may be added that the Pink Floyd members David Gilmour and Rick Wright produced the album and also played guitar / bass and keyboard. It is said that the work of creating the record was left to the two producers as Syd couldn’t or didn’t want to participate in the work (except recording his singing and guitar parts).

Favorite Songs

Love Song

Waving my arms in the air

Wined and dined

 

Tracklist

Side A
  1. "Baby Lemonade" – 4:10
  2. "Love Song" – 3:03
  3. "Dominoes" – 4:08
  4. "It Is Obvious" – 2:59
  5. "Rats" – 3:00
  6. "Maisie" – 2:51
Side B
  1. "Gigolo Aunt" – 5:46
  2. "Waving My Arms In The Air" – 2:09
  3. "I Never Lied To You" – 1:50
  4. "Wined And Dined" – 2:58
  5. "Wolfpack" – 3:41
  6. "Effervescing Elephant" – 1:52

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment